Open Ministry - Get Ordained, Online Ordinations

Questions that new ministers ask

by Open Ministry
Ordination Questions

Just getting started? If you haven't already done so you should complete the Ordination Application. Once you have completed the application, you will be sent an email for you to confirm your ordination with our ministry.

So many of our ministers have asked the following questions:

Question: What do I need to register with my county clerk?

Answer: Most county clerks will require you to present your Letter of Good Standing and Ordination Credential, you may also be able to register with your Minister ID card. In most cases you will need to present these items to the county clerk and complete any forms that the county requires.


Question: Is this for real? Can I really perform a wedding for my friends or family?

Answer: YES! The Open Ministry maintains a church status, so that ministers are able to officiate marriage in all 50 states. As all marriage laws vary from state to state and even county to county, these laws vary widely and are always subject to change. You should always have your credentials and verify your status as a minister with the local county clerk or agency that issues marriage licenses prior to performing any ceremony.

You can find a listing of the various wedding requirements, arranged according to state in our Marriage Laws Section.

Question: Can you ordain me over the phone?

Answer: No, it is our policy that your request for ordination must be in written form submitted electronically or mailed in to us. You can download and complete offline Ordination Application if you wish to mail it in.

Question: What do I need to perform a wedding?

Answer: Most states will require that you register with the county clerk or the local agency that records marriages in the county before you can perform or solemnize a ceremony.

Since every county has different requirements for the minister registration, many states will require that you have your credentials as proof of your ordination with our ministry.

In most cases these will suffice for registration needs. However, there are a few counties that have very specific requirements and they require these specialized Letters of Good Standing for ministerial registration;

The following states have special requirements:

Please visit our State Marriage & Wedding Laws for more information on these states .