Welcome to Open Ministry - Get Ordained, Online Ordinations

How to Get Ordained, Register and Perform Weddings By State How to Get Ordained, Register and Perform Weddings By State

Step 1 - How to Become Ordained Step 1 - How to Become Ordained

Step 2 - Contact The County Clerk Step 2 - Contact The County Clerk

Step 3 - Getting Licensed to Perform the Marriage Step 3 - Getting Licensed to Perform the Marriage

State Statutes for Utah

Credentials for Registration in Utah


30-1-6 Who may solemnize marriages -- Certificate

(1) Marriages may be solemnized by the following persons only:

(a) ministers, rabbis, or priests of any religious denomination who are:

(i) in regular communion with any religious society; and

(ii) 18 years of age or older;

(b) Native American spiritual advisors;

(c) the governor;

(d) the lieutenant governor;

(e) mayors of municipalities or county executives;

(f) a justice, judge, or commissioner of a court of record;

(g) a judge of a court not of record of the state;

(h) judges or magistrates of the United States;

(i) the county clerk of any county in the state, if the clerk chooses to solemnize marriages;

(j) the president of the Senate;

(k) the speaker of the House of Representatives; or

(l) a judge or magistrate who holds office in Utah when retired, under rules set by the Supreme Court.

(2) A person authorized under Subsection (1) who solemnizes a marriage shall give to the couple married a certificate of marriage that shows the:

(a) name of the county from which the license is issued; and

(b) date of the license's issuance.

(3) As used in this section:

(a) "Judge or magistrate of the United States" means:

(i) a justice of the United States Supreme Court;

(ii) a judge of a court of appeals;

(iii) a judge of a district court;

(iv) a judge of any court created by an act of Congress the judges of which are entitled to hold office during good behavior;

(v) a judge of a bankruptcy court;

(vi) a judge of a tax court; or

(vii) a United States magistrate.

(b) (i) "Native American spiritual advisor" means a person who:

(A) (I) leads, instructs, or facilitates a Native American religious ceremony or service; or

(II) provides religious counseling; and

(B) is recognized as a spiritual advisor by a federally recognized Native American tribe.

(ii) "Native American spiritual advisor" includes a sweat lodge leader, medicine person, traditional religious practitioner, or holy man or woman.

(4) Notwithstanding any other provision in law, no person authorized under Subsection (1) to solemnize a marriage may delegate or deputize another person to perform the function of solemnizing a marriage, except that only employees of the office responsible for the issuance of marriage licenses may be deputized.

Title 30: Husband and Wife - Chapter 1: Marriage

Amended by Chapter 132, 2010 General Session